Verified Reviewer

2.9

I purchased the Shark Vacuum NV586, supposedly top-rated, from Target. The product has a limited 7-year warranty, and come to find out it is very limited.

Basically if the motor stops they will cover it. The motorized brush head stopped working after 6-months of normal use at a new house with new carpet and 1 cat as the only pet, no kids, just my wife and I, and some occasional guests. After calling customer support I was informed that the motorized head is not covered as part of the warranty. Thus, I would have to pay $119.00 for a replacement on a $350 vacuum.

I announced my disappointment and stated the vacuum was only 6-months old. I was then offered a 50% discount on the part, which I agreed. After they took my credit card information and asked me if there was anything else I requested to speak to someone I could log a formal complaint. It was then that the offered me the part for free and all I would have to pay for shipping.

So, if they can do that why go through the gamesmanship of having to log a formal complaint before they will agree to cover the part. I fear many will not and will pay the full or half amount. Thus, I am not a fan of this Shark practice.

To be fair, the customer service was easy to work with, but it was obvious they were working from a script and if you complain enough you can get parts for the cost of shipping. As a consumer you should not have to do that, and a warranty should include more than specific pieces of the vacuum especially within the first year.

User's recommendation: Make sure you understand the warranty.

Preferred solution: Fair practices and a true 7-year warranty. Or put on your box 7-year warranty on the motor. .

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado